For those of you who sometimes feel besieged by emotions and feelings and perhaps wonder what the purpose is for all of this intensity, let me share some good news with you. Emotions help us to know who we are and what works for us. They help us to take care of ourselves, make positive choices and when we listen to them they are an expert guide to self-awareness. And, besides these more obvious functions, emotional energy can be used to increase and empower your intuition.
I was recently asked by a client who is confronting a possible lay-off from her job how to best deal with anxiety and fear. Her anxiety is at times so overwhelming she feels crippled by it and unable to make clear decisions. The unknown often provokes strong emotional reactions. At times of change, whether it is in your career, relationships, finances, health or family, clear intuitive guidance can be invaluable. Unfortunately, like static on the radio or television screen, emotional energy can interfere with and negatively influence intuition. Although when in the midst of a crisis it might seem that transforming and using your emotions to access intuitive information is impossible, it is easier than you think. Emotions are energy. Although we feel them as pleasurable, uncomfortable, frustrating or uplifting, emotions are not good or bad, emotions are simply energy. It is possible to slip underneath our personal reactions and responses and use the powerful energy behind our emotions. This is not denying how we feel. It is instead fully embracing what feels like the good, bad and ugly of our emotions and harnessing their potent energy.
The following is an exercise (taken from my book, Love and Intuition), that will help you to use your emotions to increase your intuitive ability.
Even though this exercise can be done while you are experiencing intense feelings, it is best to use it when you are feeling more calm and balanced.
- Think of a question for which like higher guidance. Write it down. For example:
What is my best career choice?
Will I ever meet a soul mate?
What can I do to improve my relationship with _____?
- After you have written your question, close your eyes and take a few long, deep breaths—in and out. As you breathe, draw your attention within. Then, remember a time in your life that evokes a strong feeling. Recall a memory or event that stirs up emotion. Accept whatever comes to mind. Perhaps it was a time when you were disappointed, excited, elated or filled with grief.
- Bring to your mind and body the intensity of those feelings. The feelings are not positive or negative, they are just energy. Feel them as energy.
- Next, feel the powerful force behind these feelings. Imagine that this powerful force can easily move through you, releasing any resistance or obstacles that may be interfering with your ability to receive clear intuitive guidance. Instead of repressing the intensity of your emotions and feelings, detach and do not judge them as good or bad. Instead accept their power and vibrancy. Imagine breathing this energy through your body from the top of your head through the soles of your feet.
- Continue moving this energy through your body, feeling yourself filling with vital and potent energy. Your feelings have now transformed to pure energy. You may feel a tingling or a subtle vibration as this energy moves through you.
- Imagine the flowing energy as a stream of white light, and project your question into it. This white light has intelligence and compassion.
- Listen and receive, become open to whatever guidance comes to you. Maintain this receptive state for as long as possible.
- Use your imagination to create symbols, images, numbers, letters or words with the energy that you are intuiting. You may experience an instantaneous knowing or gut feeling. Do not judge or try to think about or understand what you are receiving, try to remain as open as possible.
- When you have receive as much information as you feel is possible at this time. Take a few deep breathes, and come back fully into your body. Open your eyes, and without thinking too much about what you received jot down your impressions and information.
As above, take time to interpret the impressions you received, remembering that guidance may not appear immediately. Don’t be discouraged if it takes days or even weeks to fully understand the intuitive guidance you recieved.